Meta Description and Title: Meta Tags SEO Adaptation
SEO meta tags adaptation and use of meta search engines
Meta tags are a part of on-page SEO. They provide structured metadata about the webpage. They are placed inside the HTML-document “head” tag.
Use the HTTP-EQUIV and NAME meta tags to the full, or otherwise you may miss out both valuable traffic and paying customers. To get the best SEs rankings possible possible (and subsequently monetize your website), remember to use meta tags for SEO on every site page. They’re usually invisible to visitors, but anyone can get acquainted with them by viewing the page source.
This tag executes by H1 tag and (if it’s properly-made) duplicates the article name. The page has more chances to get the top of Google, if its tag content accurately matches with the search query. When analyzing the “Title”, one should consider several factors: the presence of a keyword, the distance between keywords, the remoteness of keywords from the header (learn more about keyword research). Remember that the closer keywords are to the beginning – the higher header’s priority. In other words, “Title” must contain the main keywords in first 65 characters. It’s a doable task, if a page is optimized for a single keyword.
- “Title” tag should not include the site name, be too short or the same for all site pages. You should really understand the importance of “Title” to visitors and SEs. SEs attach great importance to the presence and location of keywords contained in the tag, and visitors can see its contents in the form of related links in the same SERPs. “Title” is located on between the tags <head> and </ head>.
- You should always start “Title” with a targeted keyword. Remember that SEs display the TITLE tag – make it attractive to people (we recommend you to place there the most important info about your service or at least somehow present yourself to potential audience).
- Avoid placing “welcome” info, if it’s not connected to the site topic. Many SEs consider “Title” text as an important part of the relevance (i.e. matching with context pages), respectively, they change site rank depending on its “Title”.
- The optimal “Title” length is about 60–90 characters, depending on a particular SE. Considering Google, it displays near 65 characters.
- Do not try to trick SEs by including irrelevant headers or repeating a keyword of more than two times. The fraud will soon be found, your rankings will drop.
Features of Title tag compiling
- Try to write such headlines that will cause users’ curiosity and desire to click. Use promotional teaser headlines (small banner ads) on info websites as an example of such headers.
- To dilute high-frequency and midrange requests, use neutral non-commercial words (e.g., if you’re promoting a page by keywords “used cars”, it is not necessary to add commercial words such as “buy”, “sell”, “cheap”, “price”, “rent”, etc.
- Requests like: “how”, “where”, “who”, “where”, etc. have a great popularity, so it’s better to use “how to find backlinks” key phrase instead of “backlinks promotion”. The difference in the SEO price for the promotion of these keywords can be substantial (up to dozens of times), while the result will probably be comparable (check some our customers’ SEO case studies).
Typical newbies’ mistakes when creating a title tag
- Too long text. Long titles are meaningless. Google takes into account only thefirst 12 title words, and shows in issue not more than 70 characters.
- Grammatical errors. Always check the text on their availability. An illiterate header immediately reduces the trust of potential visitors.
- Simple enumeration of keywords. It looks not very nice, and moreover, Google may consider it as a spam (read some useful info about keyword research here).
- Excessive use of special characters like ^, &, *, @, #, $.
Samples of BAD/GOOD titles:
- NO enumerations: “Sell, rent, buy, exchange a car in New York”. Correct: “How to sell a car in New York. XXX auto shop”.
- NO telephone numbers: “Sell a car +X (xxx) xxx-xx-xx”.
- NO search spam: “Good fast white new cheap car”. Correct: “Used cars in stock in NY”.
SEO meta tags: the HTTP-EQUIV group
Meta tags of HTTP-EQUIV perform the same function as the hypertext titles – website promotion and control of browsers actions. The common tags:
- Content-Language. It’s used by SEs for indexing and indicates adocument language.
- Content-Script-Type. Intended for specifying of scenarios programming languages.
- Content-Style-Type – for specifying of stylesheet language. The default option is “text/css”
- Content-Type. Indicates a document type and characters encoding. Consider the following points when using the tag:
- Character encoding text must comply with encoding in the tag.
- Your server should not change the text encoding while processing a browser request.
- If your server changes the encoding of the page text, it must correct or remove the “Content-Type”.
If not complying with the above requirements, your server will automatically detect the encoding of the client’s request and will give the recoded page to a web browser. If it happens, the visitor’s browser reads the document in accordance with the “Content-Type” instructions. If the encodings do not match, the document can be read only when your visitor changes the coding pages manually in his browser.
- Expires. This tag is used to manage the caching process. In case if the specified data has passed, a browser has to make a second request to the network rather than using the cached copy. You can specify the already passed data to avoid caching.
- Pragma. It controls caching of pages generated by scripts.
- Refresh. It sets time interval of automatic updating of documents. If you want to update the document, then you can omit URL specifying.
- Set-Cookie. Attributes for the tag:
- NAME – can’t contain newline characters, spaces or semicolons.
- EXPIRES – cookies storage time. By default, cookie is stored only for a single session.
- DOMAIN – a domain for which cookie is set. By default, the system uses the default server domain name from which cookie was primarily set.
- PATH – establishes a subset of documents to which cookie applied.
- SECURE – indicates that the cookie info must be sent via HTTPS. Otherwise, the information will be sent by HTTP.
NAME group meta-tags
- Copyright/Author. As a rule, these tags are not used simultaneously. They identify an author or indicate a document affiliation. If a site isn’t individual, use “Сopyright” tag.
- Document-state. It’s designed to control search engines indexing. It may be of the two values: “Static” or “Dynamic”, which help to specify the page indexing order. Use “Static” if you don’t want page to be indexed. “Dynamic” is set by default and instructs SEs to index the page regularly.
- Revizit-after. Controls the frequency of a particular document indexing. Specify the real value or do not to use this option (if site isn’t constantly updated).
- Robots. Enables or disables the page content indexing. “Content” field can be of the following types:
- Follow – to move further by the page link.
When implementing SEO research, you should remember that “Robots” has a priority over directives of management specified in “robots.txt” file.
- Resource-type. Describes page state or properties. In cases when its value is different from the “Document”, SEs will not index it. “Content” field may be of the following types: Host, Formatter, Document (by default), Creation, Classification, Build, Version, Template, Subject, Site-languages, Rating, Random text, Operator.
- Subject. Used by SEs to determine the subject matter of the document.
- URL. Intended to cancel the indexing of pages and site mirror. When meeting the “URL” tag, SE robot must stop indexing the current document and go by specified link.
Meta description tag
- Creation of a brief page description.
- Indexing by SEs crawlers.
- Creation of a snippet in SERPs by the request.
If the Description is absent, search engine substitutes it by the first line or just a fragment of the document, which contains keywords. Avoid repeating words and phrases too often not to be punished by SEs. Description is used not only by SEs robots – it also appears in SERPs results by users’ requests.
SEO-recommendation when filling in Description meta tag
- Description size should not exceed 150-200 characters. This is a text amount, displayed in SERPs results under a link to a page. If the length of the tag is greater than this value, the description will be unfinished.
- The correct description should contain target keywords for a particular page. Most frequency requests must be placed at the outset. Do not use more than 3-4 keyword phrases in the tag. The same word should not be repeated more than 5-7 times.
- The tag should describe the content of a specific page. The text must be clear and concise, better without common phrases.
- The descriptions in the meta tag should be unique for all the pages, it is not recommended to copy a piece of the page text to fill the tag.
- Meta description should be different from the Title tag.
- Description should be attractive to users, giving them an idea of the information that they will find on the page and presenting product/service benefits.
Here is an example of bad descriptions:
- Enumeration: Buy car, how to drive a car, rent car.
- Excessive repeats: Buy a car in our car shop that sells cars.
- Users’ deadlock: On this car shop page you can buy a car, buy a bicycle, or even buy a screwdriver.
Your main task is to create a SEO meta description that will be attractive for both robots and humans. General rules when optimizing Description are the same as for the Title, but its content is usually more voluminous.
Description and Title are the most important meta-tags, which determine whether a user will visit your website or turn to competitors (here you can spy the competitors positions).Therefore, Description must be prescribed for each site page.
Once the site is indexed, check for duplicate meta tags, using GWT. Well-written and unique Description on each page of your site will increase the number of clicks on your link.
Keywords meta tag
Used by SEs to determine the link relevance.
- The main rule of the proper use of Keywords tag is including only those words that are presented in the document.
- The recommended number of words in the Keywords is up to 10.
- The breakdown of the tag into multiple lines negatively affects the assessment of the link by search engines.
- Keywords can be separated by a space or commas. These words should reflect the most important info.
- No more than 3 keyword repetitions, including spelling variations. Some search engines perceive frequent repetition as a spam.
- Wherever possible, try to use different keywords.(but be aware – they can be dangerous).
- Capital letters are not required. The best is to use a 3-fold repetition of words with different writing letters.
Common mistakes when creating Keywords meta tag
Keyword mistakes are one of the most crucial SEO mistakes:
- The same keywords on all pages. Avoid scenario of selecting general keywords and distributing them though a whole site. Every page of your site is unique so the keywords should be as unique.
- Keywords spam on a single page. In this case optimizer selects some number of keywords by the main keyword, forming them by changing the order of the keys. A large number of keywords in the meta tag will not bring you benefit, but can lead to penalties from SEs. It is enough to use 2-3 keywords.
- Punctuation. Sometimes there is that each word is separated by a comma, or the opposite – words are put without commas. Use punctuation, as keyword is not necessarily a single word – usually it’s a phrase, separated by a comma.
- Too general keywords. In this case, a single word can have too many definitions. Make keywords more concrete by using phrases.
- Use of keywords on service pages. Never include keywords to feedback, “contact us“, gallery, “about us” and other pages that are not intended to attract visitors. In fact, these pages are unique and have low frequency, so keywords are not need to be put on them. Moreover, using common keywords, you create a cannibalization on the pages of your website. improper
- Improper use of keywords. SEs divide information into segment. If you buy something, include commercial keys. On a particular page of your site, a person commits an act: purchases, orders, learn some features, watching photos and videos, etc. Use keywords that are relevant to a target user’s action.
- Use of geo targeting keywords. Don’t use geo targeting on a commercial resources if search engines take data from other sources.
In fact, you can get high positions even leaving it unfilled. However, to protect yourself it is advisable to include some keywords in metatag.
When promoting their web resource, webmasters have two ways: 1) use high-frequency queries to achieve the goal with a small number of keywords with high popularity 2) use low-frequency queries to achieve the goal with keywords number with lower popularity. Typically, to achieve greater effect, optimizers combine both methods.
Automatic generation of meta tags for commercial sites
It’s almost impossible task to write a hundred thousands of unique meta tags for large online shops. This titanic work can stall the whole process of promotion. In this case, it’s recommended to use automatic generation of meta tags. Sure, any automatic optimization process, depending on the correctness of its implementation, may be helpful or completely discounting the full potential of the site. Unskilled automation is what leads to filters, sanctions and problems with an index.
The main objectives of automation process
- To make pages unique. One of the most important tasks of automation is to remove title and meta tags doubles.
- Relevance increasing. Automation can improve both site position and its general visibility.
- Attraction of low-frequent traffic to the pages. Correct automation provides immediate low-requests traffic growth.
How to determine the method of meta data generation?
- Generation of metadata based on basic input data (by existing variables). This method is ideal for sites without content manager, or when users generate content for the site by themselves (articles, ads, reviews, etc.). It’s quite difficult to create the ideal general formula, but still it’s possible.
- The introduction of additional variables to generate metadata. This method works fine when you have a content manager or an editor, to whom you can give a task (guide) of filling the specific pages on the site. Such method is semi-automatic, but in the end it gives less mistakes and shortcomings.
Fully automatic metadata generation
- Determine the initial data.
- Divide it into groups by similar variables (goods groups, categories of ads, etc.).
- Create a unique pattern for each group.
Let’s take ads for a car sale as an example:
Must-to-be-filled fields are: Brand, Model, Year, Price, City.
- Title: “Sell*brand**model*year*city* – XXX car shop”.
- Keywords: “Sell*brand**model*, used *brand**model*, *brand* *model* in XXX city.
- Description: “Sell*brand**model*year*.*Brand**model* in XXX city only for XXX $.
This will be a great pattern for the whole site which will be suitable for all categories of ads, and will be completely unique.
Semi-automatic metadata generation
- Determine the initial data, useful for metadata generating.
- Make it common (if possible).
- Create a generation template (pattern).
This method is called semi-automatic, as not all the data you can get automatically (e.g., cars photos are selected manually by viewing photos).
The main recommendations for the automatic meta tags generation
- To try to use variables from “Select” field, but not manually written (sometimes users and managers create really unimaginable constructions).
- Always keep track of the output results. Sometimes generation may just kill all your efforts, despite of correct construction. The most common mistake is extra letters after the variables.
- Semi-automatic metadata generation is perfect for a low-frequency request growth. We recommend you to check all low-frequency requests and create variables, based on user interest.
- Automatic and semi-automatic methods can help you to get out of Google’s filters and sanctions, increasing SE indexing.
- Try to avoid automatic generation if you can do it manually. In case you need a few thousands of goods – better hire copywriters to get perfect results.
Meta tags and behavioral factors
- Keywords. Really, this tag not essential anymore. If by adding keywords you clear your conscience – do it, but remember to avoid spam.
- Title. Unlike in browsers, in SERP title is quite noticeable. It’s a clickable link, by which you pass from the search results to a wanted site.
- Description. Description is not directly involved in Google’s traffic distribution and site rankings. It may seem that the right Title and good content with the natural keywords are enough to provide the successful promotion. But it’s not absolutely right, as a description is used in the formation of snippets in search results. Correspondingly, it affects behavioral factors and growth of visitors. Behavioral factors give a significant contribution to the Google ranking. The logic of the search engine is simple: if a site is clicked often, it means it has relevant info and gives answers on users’ questions. As a result, Google thinks that it makes sense to raise the site in search. Thus, Description indirectly affects ranking: with it you can create a nice clickable snippet and improve behavioral factors.
WordPress meta-tags optimization
WP SEO by Yoast
Enter here the title and WordPress meta description of your site that will be shown to your visitors in SERPs. The maximum length of Title is 70 characters, for the description – 160.
Here you can enter data about your new post. In particular, you can specify a title to SEO, a set of keywords and meta description.
SEO Title field is filled automatically, saving your time. Edit it, if you want to give a different title or different display position in SERPs.
Focus Keyword allows to enter target keywords for the post. They differ from the keywords meta, because they show you who and where visited your site by a particular target keyword or phrase.
In Meta Description WordPress field you can use auto-fill, based on common plugin settings. But in most cases, optimizers enter their own description for each individual post. Remember that this data is displayed in SERPs – fill in correctly and clearly.
In SEO meta Keywords field you enter a set of keywords to a particular post. They’re also describe the submitted content. Google most likely doesn’t use this field to rank a site, but other SEs may do it.
All in One SEO Pack
After installing the plugin, choose edit to add Title, Description and Keywords meta-tags for optimizing any page upon a particular search query and its promotion it in the SERPs.
- Title. Write an informative and unique title with a keyword direct entry as closer as possible to the beginning. Remember that the length is limited. Don’t write long texts, as they will simply be cut off in SEs results. If this field is left empty, the plug-in uses the post title for it. Remember to write in Title info for SEs, in post title – for users.
- Description. A brief and unique description of a unique article, containing not more than 160 characters. You may include the exact search query entry at the beginning, and the diluted at the end. This field is no guarantee that this text will be presented in snippet, but it significantly increases the chances.
- Keywords (comma separated). This tag doesn’t effect SEs ranking, but if you fill it – write only used in the text keywords. Don’t write more than 5-7 words.
- Disable on this page / post. Put a check here if you do not want to use the plugin on this page.
When preparing meta-tags for separate pages, you’ll be given 2 additional fields:
- Title Attribute – text that will be used to for Title attribute for all the links in the text.
- Menu Label – the title, written here, will be used in site menu. If you leave the field unfilled, the menu will display the page name.
What is a meta search engine?
It is no secret that the Internet is a growing skyrocketing amount of info. To streamline the continuous stream of data and to find the necessary flow of information, “ordinary” SEs were created. Each search engine has its own index, which carries official information about the contents of indexed pages and documents. Every “traditional” search engine has only its own limited list of resources. None of these systems can cover all of the resources that exist in the Internet. Therefore, a situation may arise when the user is not satisfied with SERPs results. Usually, in this case the user moves to another SE and trying to find what he needs there.
So, what is a metasearch engine and why do we need it?
Now imagine a situation when numerous sites, indexed by different search engines is growing exponentially, but the share of no-indexed data for each SE increases with each passing second. This happens because different SEs use different search algorithms and give their attention to different parts of the network to which they are most adapted. The logical solution is to find not one, but several SEs to get more relevant results. And that is what metasearch systems offer.
Metasearch engines have no own search databases, do not contain index – they use only databases of other SEs. The principle of meta SE is the next: a user’s query is converted to a by-logic and by-syntax formatted one, optimal for each “traditional” search engine. Thus, metasearch transmits one query into several and addresses them to different search engines. Metasearch systems combine the results of SEs of various specializations. All metasearch system sorts search results so as to avoid duplicates and similar pages in the issue, found by various search engines.
Popular metasearch engines
- Dogpile. It uses not only the SEs, but also the FTP-servers, as well as news sites, quotes, stock exchanges and even yellow pages. Additional services provide an opportunity to receive detailed weather forecasts and topographic maps of the area of interest.
- Mamma. Canadian metasearch system provides a standard package of services, offering quality search.
- Zoo. Initially searches the required information in the databases of other search services. Then runs the own algorithm and analyzes the information (sorts links, searches for duplicates).
- All4One. Gives visitors the opportunity to get search results directly from the supported SEs with a familiar interface. The browser window is divided into several frames. Each of them contains a list of links found by a particular SE.
- Oneseek. It’s designed for those who know what he is looking for. The user needs to pre-select the target category before search. To set your goals, it’s a fairly user-friendly interface that optimizes the search, saves your time and helps to avoid irrelevant results.
- Savvy search. It offers search by more than 200 external databases, collections of price lists and a series of special electronic reference books and libraries. SavvySearch has a simple and user interface.
The disadvantage of metasearch is its very modest syntax possibilities for formulating of advanced search conditions. Since metasearch can use up to 15-20 SEs, it is obvious that the syntax of the extended search for all SEs anyhow will be different.
The use of meta tags is very important for a proper site positioning in SEs, but it’s only a small particle of the whole SEO complex. Use our services to know more and get the best results at minimum costs.